Food and Beverages Howto’s
In early April of 2017, many Filipinos were horrified of the 5.6 and 6.0 magnitude earthquake that affects most Southern Luzon area cities and provinces. And due to this, I want to inspire people to have a positive view of such calamity by providing the most effective stress reliever in the world – eating a mouth watering cake. So through learning different recipe on how to prepare a cake, I encountered different suggested recipe of earthquake cake and by trying or combining such suggestions, here is the ingredients and procedure that might help you to make a very tasty and chocolaty cake that I named as earth shattering quake cake recipe.
- 250 gram coconut (shredded)
- 375 gram pecans (chopped)
- 250 grams cashew nuts
- Chocolate chips or chocolate bars
- Cream cheese
- 3 ¾ cups of powdered sugar
- 125 gram butter
- 1 pack chocolate cake mix (or red velvet mix if prefer to have a red velvet flavor)
- Eggs (3 large, 4 medium or 5 small sized)
- 70 ml oil
- Non stick cooking spray
- We need to preheat the oven from 300 to 350 degrees (start at 300 degrees then add 5 degrees after 20 seconds until you reach 350 degrees to have proper distribution of heat)
- In a pan or angel round pan, spray a non stick cooking spray and let it be for 5 minutes.
- Then spread the pecans, chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bars, coconut and cashew nuts (or almonds if prefer).
- Combine the chocolate mix (or red velvet mix) with eggs, cooking oil and water using a spatula and let it be.
- After 5 minutes, mix the cake mix using hand mixer for 3 minutes and let it be for another five minutes.
- Pour the cake mix on the top of the pan where the pecans, chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bars, coconut and cashew nuts are mixed.
- Get a saucepan, on a low heat, melt the butter with the cream cheese, pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- Spread the mixture on top of the cake mix and let it be for 10 minutes.
- Put it inside the oven and bake it for 30-45 minutes and wait until it is done. Toothpick and shaking is not useful for this recipe because it needs to stay gooey.
- Serve and enjoy the food.
People have different perception of food and were able to evaluate using their basic senses. The basic senses are classified into five aspect and it is used also as protection and defense mechanism of the body to lessen the risk of food borne illness. The body will be able to identify if the food the person will consumed will be safe or not through these senses. So the underlying response of the individual who will consume the food is the ideal estimation which can be utilized for the assessment of food and beverages that individuals may measure.
The first human senses are their eyes which typically can evaluate food through its appearance. This is where color is the main measurement to identify the food quality and presentation. It can identify the ripeness, the strength and the degree how the food is cooked. This is the way a person assess the food based on its physical appearance where color is the main measurement to acquire good presentation. It is also linked to the overall acceptance and liking of a person about the presentation and presence of the whole food based on the naked eyes
Appearance is also evaluated through size and shape of ingredients and its compatibility to the entrée and main cuisine. Also, the broth and soup offers the clarity of liquid present in the menu as the color of the food compliments each other. Lastly, complete ingredients are very important factor also for the presentation of the food. The appearance of the food gained the interest of most consumers due to the optical properties that tempt them to buy and consumed such food products. Addition to this, plating and the design of the food is a factor that adds to the interest of the consumers to buy the products.
So as part of the food and beverage industry, catering services must make sure that the presentation of their food menu is appealing starting from the color combination of ingredients, the cut and size being proportion to the cut of the meat, strong soup and broth used, and the presence of specific ingredients must always present. We should make sure that right amount of ingredient and element is present in our product.
When we see an angel or hear the word, it is a relaxing feeling for use. Knowing that they are given to us so that we will be protected, assisted, and gave good news. So even in food industry, we integrate the word to enjoyable food such as bread, pastries and even cake.
One of the famous angel-like desserts is the “Angel Cake” which is known for being spongy and super sweet that appeal the taste especially of kids. It is made up of cake flour sugar, egg whites, a little bit of salt, cream of tartar, almond extract and vanilla extract. You could also add strawberry or chocolate to add to the flavorings of the cake. Here is a basic recipe for moms so they could make it for their kids.
- 2 ½ cups of cake flour
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 3 ½ cups of sugar which should be divided
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- ½ tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of almond extract
- 3 cups of egg whites
Materials and Equipments:
- Large bowl
- 2 pcs 10 inch tube pan
- Put the egg white is a large bowl. Beat it (using handmixer or heavy duty mixer) until it form stiff peaks.
- Sift the cake flour along with the first 1 ¾ cups of sugar twice and slowly but surely, then set aside.
- Add all extract (vanilla and almond) and the cream of tartar and salt to the egg whites, set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 3500C, but be sure that the rack is placed at the bottom of the oven.
- Slowly beat the egg white mixture slowly to medium speed, then add the remaining 1 ¾ cups of sugar slowly while you continue beating the mixture.
- Fold in the flour mixture slowly and gradually until foamy and stiff.
- Put it into the 10 inch tube pan and remove the air pocket by using a knife.
- Bake for 40 – 45 minutes until golden brown.
- Invert the pan and let it cool
- Add whipped cream and strawberry or chocolate at the top. Design based on your preference with sprinkles and candies.
- If desired, frosting can also be done along with food coloring to make it more desirable for children and kids.
Recently, we became accustomed to different kind of non-alcoholic beverages such as tea, coffee, milkshake and flavored milks, health drinks, hot chocolate, iced coffee, juices, frappes, espresso and smoothies. From students, employees, and all people who would want such beverages would go to selected coffee shops and have a great morning taste of their drinks. These coffee shops are very fashionable and offered one-plate food such as cakes, pastries and sandwiches to compliment the drinks.
These non-alcoholic beverages are usually combined or garnished with fruits which is firm, has a good color and blemished. Fruits are sliced or twisted and combined with other fruits to make it looks less boring. It is important to deal with the consistencies so that quality of products is on hand at all times with different customers.
Tea is made up of herbal ingredients and sometimes combined with fruit flavors presented in hot or cold variety. It is preferred by people who are already health conscious to maintain their body while enjoying the beverage. While coffee is appealing to people who need to be energetic during the day’s activities. It is usually drank during the morning to be able to cope with the demand of their everyday work.
While smoothies and milkshakes are likeable for kids and children because of its combination to dairy products such as milk, yogurt and ice cream. Each establishment has their own recipe of smoothies and milkshakes depending on the trend and preference of their customers. Hot chocolate and iced coffee with chocolate is refreshing drinks during summer or rainy season.
We often drink hot chocolate during Christmas season to remember how the famous Santa Clause delivers the so-called Christmas gift and drink the hot chocolate left for them beside the Christmas tree. While iced coffee with chocolate add caffeine to our body system while drinking it cold.
Juices, health drinks, and frappes are usually fruity ingredients drinks. The usual ingredients are pineapple, apple, mangoes, peaches and lychees. The difference between the three is that juices are pure liquid extract from fruits, the health drinks are combination of fruits and vegetables and the frappes are frozen blend of whole fruits combined with crushed iced.
However, these drinks are also offered to different food service and all you need is to ask the staff for the availability of non-alcoholic beverages.
Executive Gourmet Catering is a Full Service Canteen Concessionaire specializing in medium to large sized companies. Our menus are designed to excite even the most demanding staffs and employees.
We also provide Food Delivery to Companies who do not have Canteens. We deliver and do buffet service for your staffs 24/7 even in graveyard shifts.
Catering Services companies can give a wide variety of beef recipes, one of them is Beef tenderloin and vegetable in white sauce. It’s creamy, tasty and very healthy. Let me share you the simple recipe of the dish that was created out of passion for cooking. Below are the ingredients and procedures.
1. 1/2 beef tenderloin
2. 1/2 potato (cut into strips)
3. 1/4 carrots (cut into strips)
4. 1/4 beans (cut into strips)
5. 2 white onions
6. 1 whole butter
7. 1 cup of all purpose cream
8. 1 evaporated milk (large)
9. 1 powdered mushroom soup
10. salt and pepper to taste
Step 1. Prepare the beef and vegetables.
1. Marinate the beef in soy sauce, pepper and calamansi ahead of time, much better if overnight.
2. Saute the beans, carrots and onions.
3. Fry the potatoes.
4. Fry the beef in butter. Use the half of butter in frying the beef.
5. Set aside all the vegetables and beef once you are done.
Step 2. Prepare the white sauce.
1. In a sauce pan, mix and cook the evaporated milk, all purpose cream, your excess butter and powdered mushroom soup in a low heat fire.
2. Stir until the butter melts and become sticky then set aside.
Step 3. Presentation of the dish.
1. Slice into strips the cooked tenderloin beef.
2. Put the sliced beef in a tray or bowl, then layer it with potatoes, Baguio beans, carrots and onions.
3. Once you are done in layering all the ingredients, put the white sauce on top of it
Another famous Filipino dessert is buko pandan. Its one of the best seller desserts in Catering Services events. It is a perfect partner of leche flan.. Buko Pandan Salad is very easy to prepare, you just need to follow some instructions to have a delicious one. Let me share you the procedures on how to make buko pandan.
1. 3 pcs. coconut (shaved)
2. 1 Gulaman powder (pandan flavor)
3. 1 large can of corn
4. 1 large can of condensed milk
5. 2 all purpose cream
Step 1. Cook the gelatin in three minutes. Dissolve it in five cups of water. Make sure that you dissolve it well.
Step 2. Set aside the gelatin after you cook it, wait until it’s set.
Step 3. Once it’s set, slice the gelatin depends on the size that you want.
Step 4. In a big bowl put the gelatin altogether with the shave coconut, corn, condensed milk and all purpose cream.
Step 5. Mix all the ingredients and put it on a refrigerator.
Step 6. Once the buco pandan is chilled you can now serve it to your family and friends.
Remember, it is important that the gelatin is well cooked. Don’t forget to put the buco pandan right away on the refrigerator or else, it might spoil. Just follow the above procedures for a successful buko pandan. Good thing about preparing a buko pandan is the idea that it is not complicated. Anyone can make it as long as there is a procedure.
The reason why other Filipinos like sisig especially those beer drinkers, is because of the unusual combination of various chili peppers. The term “sisig” came from the old Tagalog word “sisigan” which means “to make it sour”. Sisig also means fatty and spicy dish. Originally, the main ingredient of sisig is the parts of a pig’s head. Years passed, others learned to use pork liempo instead of the parts of a pig’s head. Sisig originated from the province of Pampanga. Below are the ingredients and procedures of cooking sisig.
1. 1 kilo of pork liempo
2. 1 small size of ginger
3. 4 pcs. of onions.
4. 1 whole ox brains
5. 10 pcs. of green chili pepper
6. 3 pcs. of red chili pepper
7. pepper to taste
8. salt to taste
10. 10 pcs. of calamansi
Step1. Clean the ox brain and the pork liempo in running water.
Step 2. Put the ox brain in a clean plastic then after that cook it in 5 minutes. Once it is cooked, clean it again in running water.
Step 3. Boil the pork liempo with pepper, vetsin and salt, then wait until it becomes tender.
Step 4. Fried the pork liempo then slice it depends on the size that you want. It can be in cubes or strips.
Step 5. In a clean bowl, marinate the chopped pork liempo with pepper, calamansi juice, salt, ginger and MSG. Once you get your desired taste put the ox brains. Make sure that you mix it well.
Step 6. Slice the red chili pepper in a small size then mix it with the other ingredients.
Step 7. Slice the green chili pepper into strips and make sure that you remove the seed. Put the slice green chili pepper at the top of sisig.
French toast can also be called as American toast, Spanish toast or German toast. In France it is known as “pain purdue” which means “a lost bread”. It is a popular breakfast offerings because it is very easy to prepare. Basically, French toast is topped with powdered sugar and syrup. But people nowadays keep looking for something new that’s why we created a new version of it. Below are the ingredients and procedures in making a French toast.
1. Butter (for frying)
2. Big Condensed milk
3. 2 Eggs
4. Loaf Bread (it can be trimmed or not)
6. Grated Cheese
1. Cook the ham and set aside.
2. Beat the eggs together with milk. If you want something that is somehow sweet, put a little bit of sugar.
3. Slice the loaf diagonally
1. Soak the loaf in the egg that has milk. After that, remove it carefully.
2. Fry it in a frying pan that has butter. See to it that you check it frequently, so you will be sure that it will not be burned.
1. Once you’re done frying all your loaves, put the cooked ham on the top of the bread and sprinkle the grated cheese. Cover it with loaf.
2. Arrange it to a plate and share it with your family and friends.
“Anything is good if it’s made of chocolate.” The chocolate truffle was created by the French culinary giant Auguste Escoffier way back in 1920s. Originally chocolate truffles are made of ganache, chocolate, cream and rolled in cocoa. As time goes by, food becomes more creative.
Chocolate Truffles can also be coated in sweet curry and paprika. Nowadays, people make chocolate truffles as a gift or a present to a friend or to someone special. Chocolate truffles are very affordable compare to other chocolate candies.
The word “truffles” means any filled chocolates. The history of chocolate truffles is quite confusing because in some studies it was stated that chocolate truffles was invented in Chambery, France M. Defour in 1985 and the Europeans learned about chocolate truffles in 1900’s.
Let me share you the recipe in making chocolate truffles.
How to Make Chocolate Truffles
Ingredients for 20-25 pcs.
1. 450 grams of unsweetened or dark chocolate bar
2. 1/4 cup of thick cream that was chilled for 24 hours.
3. I table spoon of butter
4. 1 table spoon of vanilla
5. Oats or sprinkles
1. In a small pan, melt the butter together with the chocolate bar for at least two minutes in a low set of fire.
2. Set aside until it was chilled
3. Mold the cooked chocolate into a circle. You can also put a marshmallow inside the molded chocolate.
4. Coated it with oats or sprinkles
5. Arrange it into a box and share it with your family and friends
A muffin looks like a cupcake that is sweet and tasteful. It is usually made from butter and dough. It is also a popular pastry. Someone I know came up with a different recipe of muffin. She use one kind of vegetables as a main ingredient of it. This is her way to encourage children to eat vegetables. We all know that kids love to eat sweets and at the same time they are having a hard time to eat vegetables. We cannot force them to eat vegetables but we can encourage them. Below are the ingredients and procedures for 12-15 pieces of carrot muffin.
1. 5 pieces of medium-size carrots
2. 1whole butter
3. 2 cups of white sugar
4. 1 can of pineapple, crushed
5. 3 eggs
6. 2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
7. 1 teaspoon of baking powder
8.1 teaspoon of cinnamon
9.Salt to taste.
3. Put all-purpose flour and baking powder.
3. After you mix the butter, sugar, eggs, all-purpose flour and baking powder, put the grated carrots and crushed pineapple then add the cinnamon and a little bit of salt to taste.
1. Mix well all the ingredients and bake it for 20-25 minutes.
You have to remember that baking is quite complicated. The measure and procedures should be exact, unless it will turn out into an unsuccessful muffin. It is not like cooking a dish that you can keep on adding and removing ingredients until you get your desired taste. In baking, you need to be sure on the ingredients and procedure.
Some people love to eat chips. One of the most booming kinds of chips is nachos. This food originated from Mexico. Nachos consist of chips that are cut into triangles and covered with cheese and meat. I know someone who knows how to make delicious nachos.
According to her, one of her inspirations in cooking is knowing that she can make people happy in her simple way of cooking. I am blessed that she allowed me to use her ingredients and procedures on how to make delicious nachos. Below are the ingredients and procedures of making nachos.
1. 1/2 Nachos Chips
2. White onions
5. 1/4 Ground beef or pork
6. Tomato Sauce
7. Evaporated milk
10. Salt and Pepper to taste
Melt the butter in a frying pan and add evaporated milk and grated cheese. Cook it in 3 minutes.
1. Slice the white onions and tomato in small bits and cabbage into strips then set aside.
2. Saute ground beef or pork into red onions and put a little bit of tomato sauce then add salt and pepper to taste.
3. After you prepare everything for your nachos arrange it in a container and better use a Tupperware.
If you just have a certain budget for your nachos, I suggest using ground pork instead of ground beef. Remember that it is up to you how many nachos and ground pork you will going to use. You can also use both kinds of meat if you want to blend the different taste of pork and beef. Nachos is a food that is good to eat while having a bonding with your friends. It is easy to prepare and cool to eat.
Every Filipino demands for a breakfast food which is very nutritious, delicious and can satisfy them along the way. As for typical family, having left over rice which will be fried is a very special effort to prepare breakfast, along with garlic fried rice is combined with longanisa or sausage and eggs (sunny side up style). This is one of the most famous breakfast menu that even catering service is providing this because they know how appealing the dish to many Filipinos.
Well, longanisa (longaniza) lucban style is slightly sour sausage and is similar to chorizo of Spain. It is our own variety of sausage that has become very well known among local residents. Usually, it is bought from the public market, grocery stores, and home-made. It is a fact that these products bought from market is already done when it comes to its tastes. But we could make it more appealing to us and to our kids, family and relatives by doing it on our own way.
One of the special longanisa is the Lucban style longanisa or usually known “Longganisang Lucban”. A recipe is here so that people would not need to travel so far to go to Lucban just to be able to have a taste of their longanisa. This recipe will need to be frozen within 3 days of making to maintain its freshness because there will be no curing or whatsoever.
- pork belly or medium ground pork
- garlic powder
- oregano, dried
- 1 tsp sugar (depending on the sweetness you want)
- Sausage casing
- Pork back fat
- Grind the pork belly in a grinder or you could chop it using a cleavers.
- Add salt. And set aside.
- Fried or roast the paprika, oregano and garlic powder in a hot pan
- Mix it with the ground pork and set aside for 40 minutes or until 1 hour.
- Cube the pork back fat and mix with the ground pork mixture
- Put the sausage casing in a warm water
- After 30 minutes, pour some vinegar to the sausage casing
- Put the meat mixture into the sausage casing and make it like links.
- Chill in the refrigerator
- The next day, fry the longanisa and combine with fried rice, and egg and serve hot to the family.
Sinigang have been Filipino’s domestic favorite dish among all other foods that we used to eat. It is a stew where it is a little bit salty and sour which came from tamarind fruit. As our favorite viand, then it must be prepared in a very special way and combined with a special version. Since it is famous for different ingredients that no would expect it can turn into a menu which make our mouth watery and would always make additional variety but would still be satisfied with it.
For the estimation of cooking and preparation for Sinigang with Sampalok, I suggest that we should give a full hour of cooking to make a very special sinigang.
- 1 kilo Meat/Fish
- River spinach/kangkong
- String beans
- horse radishes
- pealed gabi (taro)
- 2 pieces tomatoes, sliced
- 3 diced onions
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- green finger pepper
- sampalok (tamarind)
- patis (fish sauce)
- 2 liters fish stock or rice wash
- In a boiling water, put the tamarind and let it boil for 5 minutes. Let the shell of the tamarind show crack and allow it to cool.
- Peel of the shell. Put the sampalok with the meat/fish and massage it so that the taste of tamarind will combine with the meat/fish.
- Strain them and set aside.
- Saute onion and garlic after a while add the tomato and let it simmer.
- Then add the meat/fish with tamarind in the pot, let it simmer for a while. Then add the fish sauce with the fish stock (for fish) and rice wash (for meat or both).
- Bring to boil and then when the meat is tender then add the gabi until pork is tender.
- When the pork is tender or the fish is in good condition then add the horse radish and allow it to simmer. After 5 minutes add the string beans, the kangkong and the sili (if prefer) and allow to boil for 1 minute.
- Serve hot.
- Aside from sampalok fruit (tamarind), you can use guava or kalamyas. And now there are commercialized ready to use seasoning. Such as knorr sa sampalok and knorr with gabi.
February is the busiest time for students because they are required to submit many projects, documents and even case study as requirements to pass their year level or to graduate. Yes, you can now feel the breeze of graduation march and students, especially the graduating students are having a hard time finishing all their needed requirements so that they will be included in the list of graduates.
To make up with their hardships, family members, relative and friends are preparing for the upcoming graduation event. So now, they need to make a list of drinks, appetizer platters, salads, entrées, pasta, and dessert to make the graduation menu complete. Because catering service will do the working for your surprise graduation party and they could also give advice on what can be the most appropriate kind of party for graduation purposes.
There could be a barbecue party where you can use the pool side area or any part of the house. It could be solemn dinner for family and immediate relatives or for party goers with music and band. Maybe an ice cream party will do the trick because graduation is the end of their being child and the start of maturity and being a grown up.
Ice cream party can be fabulous for graduate students and for all we know they will appreciate everything. It’ll be a fun way and all age can attend to this party. Ice cream party is where people will find ice cream, gelato, sorbet and frozen yogurt to be consumed. So here is how to make ice cream for your ice cream graduation party.
The semifreddo style of ice cream:
- plain chocolate or cocoa
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp dark rum
- Meringues as toppings
- muscovado sugar
- 2 table spoon sugar
- 50 ml nestle all purpose cream
- 50 ml yogurt
- Place the chocolate in a bowl on a pan of water. Let it simmer and wait until chocolate is melted and stir it and allow it to cool. Set aside
- Whip the egg yolks and mix with sugar using a kitchen aid until creamy.
- In another bowl, whip the egg whites and gradually add the remaining sugar.
- Whip the cream until soft and add the yogurt and fold. Add the egg yolk mixture in the chocolate. Add the rum and add the egg mixture.
- Put in the freezer and put in an ice cream cone and serve immediately
When we think of gifts for Valentine’s Day then we specifically thought about chocolates. It could be cakes, bars, cookies and even candies. Because love should be all about sweetness and charming to show your affection to the person you love most.
So make this season more appealing, you must learn how to make personalized chocolates to allow the person realized the true meaning and essence of love. This event also can make our lives as human being more pleasing and to celebrate the day of love and making all the possible things to show that person how much you love them.
Addition to this, you don’t need to spend a lot of money to make chocolates. It is up to the person making the recipe on what can he still offers and make out of this simple menu into an everlasting coat and taste that will be given to the person he loves.
Here is how to make a home made Chocolate Bars
- light brown sugar
- butter, room temperature
- large egg
- teaspoon vanilla or lemon flavoring
- 2 packs of all purpose flour
- 1 pack chocolate chips
- semi-sweet/dark flavored chocolate chips
- toppings (chocolate sprinkle, fruit flavored, rice cereals)
- Prepare all the ingredients
- Pre heat the oven to325 degrees.
- Roll the jellyroll pan with nonstick foil.
- In a bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar until smooth. (you can use hand mixer or kitchen aid)
- Add egg and vanilla/lemon flavoring and continue beating
- Reduce the speed of the mixer and stir in the chocolate chips and semi-sweet/dark flavored chocolate chips
- Add the peanuts.
- Put the mixture in the pan and press it using the back of spatula.
- Bake the mixture from 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly golden but not overbake.
- The cookie bar should be still a little bit soft.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips
- Sprinkle with other preferred toppings and let cool to room temperature, then chilled for 10 to 25 minutes.
- Wait until it is well cooled.
- Cut into bars to serve.
Every Chinese New Year I was asking a friend of mine who is a half-Chinese and half-Filipino to give me a tikoy the Chinese rice cake (or sometimes called glutinous rice flour) because it brings fortune both to the person who gave it and the person receiving it. Tikoy in Chinese is Nian gao and it was considered as the main dish during this season.
Since Chinese New Year is very important holiday and it was sometimes called “spring festival” in china then it is important to prepare tikoy in a special way. You can find tikoy everywhere especially in Quiapo, Dangwa and even in Divisoria and Tutuban Mall. Every street has a tikoy vendor starting Christmas season (December until January or sometimes February).
The simplest way to prepare tikoy is using basic ingredients such as sugar and water. But still you can add up additional flavorings to make it a delight for the family in Chinese New Year. It can be fried or steamed, with food color and eggs. You can have a variety of way of cooking and preparing special sweet tikoy.
- Tikoy or glutinous rice flour
- Sugar (depending on the sweetness you want)
- 1 cup water or more
- 2 Eggs
- Flour (can be small amount only)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Mix all the ingredients sugar, water, eggs and flour. (You can still add other flavorings to make it more delicious and colorings). Set aside.
- Pre heat round pan with oil.
- Dip the tikoy in the mixture and fry it within 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Put in a platter and serve immediately.
- Garnish with buko, nata or sago
So this is the basic way of preparation of the dish and all you have to do is to adopt this, add more ingredients that you think can make it more and more appealing to everyone especially to the whole family. You are able to receive the fortune brought by the tikoy and try to make it worthy by making it more tastier and delicious.
People were very familiar with “tilapia” and everywhere they would love to eat it in a way they prefer. It can be fried (which is very common), sinigang style, grilled, relyeno and can be served with white sauce. Yes, tilapia can be very special and cooked using white sauce. Personally, it is one of my favorite fish due to its white meat and a semi like jacket skin.
Technically it was called yellow leather jacket for the similarity of its skin, gills and covering is like leather. Kids usually do not eat fish, why? Well because they are a little bit scared of it. How can you eat a food that you can see its eyes, mouth and other body parts? When I was a kid I fear fish because I felt that it was still alive and looking at me. So we have to make a fish recipe that can make kids enjoy, and love fish and to make the eating worthwhile, it can be done with sauce so that it can have another innovative taste.
- 1 kilo Tilapia
- ¼ Pork giniling
- All purpose cream
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 Onion
- (you can still add any kind of green leafy vegetable)
- Fish sauce
- A cup stock (pork, fish or chicken will do)
- Cheese for garnishing
- Fry the tilapia fish until the skin is crispy and brown. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Sauté onion, garlic and ginger until semi-brown.
- Add the pork giniling allow it to simmer
- Season with salt and pepper
- Add the kinchay, squash or any vegetable you prefer and allow it to cook some more.
- Add the stock (depending on what is the available stock)
- Pour some fish sauce.
- And add the all purpose cream and additional ½ cup of water.
- Let it simmer for 3 minutes and do not overcooked the vegetables.
- You can also add sili or chili sauce or any to make it a little bit spicy.
- Pour the sauce on the fried tilapia in a platter
- Add some cheese topings
- Serve immediately.
This can really be tasty and kids who were not into fish will definitely try this one.
January and February is the coldest months of the year and people would love to eat soups, drink coffee or hot cocoa, and even make their day hot during these seasons. So catering services is in demand for hot foods and hot drinks nowadays. And the most prefer by people is the hot bulalo, the bone marrow usually of beef. There has been different way of cooking bulalo as Filipino defines the cooking. But basically, the bone marrow is boiled and vegetable are added to make it more basically appealing, nutritious and delicious as people deals with cold weather.
In restaurants and catering services, the menu is required for a very expensive price. It was hard to tenderize the meat of a beef. It needs a lot of time for boiling the meat, how much more the bone marrow? The stew of bulalo, which is also a specialty in Batangas is basically cooked this way:
- 1 kilo beef shank (with bone and marrow) or oxtail; cut in chunks
- Chinese cabbage / head cabbage or both (depends on your preference)
- Soy sauce
- Fish sauce
- Calamsi or lemon (vinegar with onion, garlic,
- For side dish, fry the potatoes between 3 – 5 minutes then set aside
- Simmer the beef shank or oxtail or both in a pot.
- Sprinkle with salt, onion, and garlic for 30 minutes to 1 hour is a low heat until tender.
- Remove the foam, or froth that rises on the surface of the soup. You can add water if needed (preferably very hot water).
- When beef tender, you can now add the corn, potato, and peppercorns and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage or Chinese cabbage or both.
- Put the fish sauce depending on the taste you prefer.
- Remove from the fire
- Serve hot with a mixture of soy sauce and lemon or kalamansi juice.
So this cold months, it will be not so cold anymore for hot bulalo with Batangas touch is available and can be done by any good cooks, chefs or even mommies at home who loves to cook for her kids and family.
Local Filipinos are very fond of root crops and eating crops has been part of their culture and bodies. But then, eating food crops such as cassava has been innovated into different recipes, menus and desserts. Cassava grows in the Philippines and it was popular for the name of “kamoteng kahoy” which was usually boiled in water, sprinkled with honey or sugar and will be enjoyed by kids as part of mid-day meal or “merienda”. Since it was too easy to plant, crop and harvest it then many farmers are sowing cassava than any other crops.
Nowadays, cassava has been very popular with desserts such as cassava cake. And some people have included it in their list as business opportunity. In some bus station in Luzon, you will find cassava cake vendors along with other take home foods such as buco pie, donuts, pastillas and candies. Seeing the base of the cake, it was a very mouth savoring and the color, aroma and the toppings (usually a lot of cheese) makes people crave for it.
As we eat the cake, you will find the taste of coconut, milk, and even eggs but their combination is one of the menus you can relish in all sort of ways. Furthermore, for people who love to make cassava cake, here is its basic ingredient and recipe. Then you could still add up additional toppings, food color or even flavorings such as vanilla, banana, lemon or apple flavoring.
1 pack cassava
½ cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup coconut milk in can/or bought from market
250 grams macapuno
*** You can also add flavorings such as vanilla, banana, lemon or apple
** food color depends on the flavorings
* Add toppings such as diced gelatin, sago or gulaman
- In a bowl, mix the margarine and sugar until the mixture is smooth. Maintain its consistency.
- In another bowl, mix the cassava, macapuno and the coconut milk
- Add the prefer flavoring and food color.
- Then mix all ingredients together.
- Put in an oven and bake it for 30 minutes in a 350 degrees oven
- Pricked the middle of the cake to know if it is cooked. If the stick comes out clean then the cassava cake is done.
- Then as for the toppings, put the condensed milk on the top of the cake
- Sprinkle with lots of grated cheese
- You can add some diced gelatin, gulaman or sago depending on what you prefer.
- Serve to the family
Humba is a popular dish in the region of Visayas and some part of Mindanao. This is commonly called Adobong Bisaya because it is being cooked the way how the popular adobo of Tagalogs is cooked. The difference is that this dish is being cooked with brown sugar before cooking with soy sauce and vinegar.
The main ingredient of this Special Humba is Chicken. Usually, pork is being used as the main ingredient but to add some twist, we will use chicken instead. We will use chicken to have a unique version of the Humba. This dish can be a refresher for party food choices on catering menus. This is also a good option for mothers who cook meals for the family.
This is how we cook Special Humba Chicken.
- Chicken, cut into medium size
- Brown sugar
- Soy sauce
- Onion, chopped
- Garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- Star anise
- Pineapple juice
- Pineapple tidbits
- Bulaklak ng Saging
- Laurel leaf
- Siling labuyo, chopped
- Sauté the chicken with brown sugar and oil. Add the onion and garlic. Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Add soy sauce and vinegar. Add the star anise, tausi and bulaklak ng saging. Simmer without the cover for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the pineapple juice and tidbits. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the laurel leaf and chopped siling labuyo.. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with lots of rice.
This is a good alternative for the usual chicken menu we see on catering services. The addition of pineapple tidbits, bulaklak ng saging, tausi and star anise will give additional color to the brown appearance of the dish. The sweet and salty taste will give an excitement to our taste pallet. Hopefully, this dish will give us a more reason to enjoy unique Filipino cuisine at home and during party
Pork mushroom is basically pork cooked with mushroom gravy sauce. Mashed potato on the other hand is a famous appetizer and/or side dish together with a gravy sauce. Combining these two dishes is a good way to re-invent a common dish to become part of food choices for catering services. The dish is called Baked Pork Mushroom with Cheesy Mashed Potato.
The preparation and cooking of this food is a bit time-consuming because you have to do three procedures before getting the final dish. This might take you longer time while cooking. But rest assured that the wait is worth it.
- Pork, cut into strips
- Mushroom Gravy
- Sliced mushroom
- Oyster sauce
- Onion, chopped
- Garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking oil
- Peeled potatoes, golden in color and cut into medium size
- All-purpose cream
- Evaporated Milk
Baked Pork Mushroom with Cheesy Mashed Potato
- Grated cheese
- Boil pork in a pan with salt and pepper. Wait until it is tender. Separate the pork and the broth pork.
- Sauté onion and garlic in a separate pan.
- Add the mushroom gravy. Put to boil then add the pork broth.
- Add the cooked pork and the sliced mushroom. Add oyster sauce then put salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Set aside and let it cool.
- Boil the potato in water with salt. Cover then simmer for 10-15 minutes. Check if the potato is done by poking a fork into the potatoes.
- Warm all-purpose cream and butter to a pan. Make sure that your fire will not burn the mixture to avoid bitter taste to the potato.
- Drain water from the potato then mix the cream and butter mixture to the potato.
- Mash the potato with a masher or with a spoon. Add the evaporated milk then mash again until it reaches your desired consistency. Do not over-mash the potato to avoid becoming gluey.
- Add salt to taste.
Baked Pork Mushroom with Cheesy Mashed Potato
- Put the pork mushroom into a rectangular glass baking pan, half full.
- Top it with the mashed potato. Add the grated cheese then bake in a pre-heated oven. Wait until the cheese melt.
- Serve with steamed rice.
Have fun in cooking.
Adobo is a signature dish of our country. This is one of most famous dishes that Filipinos cooked whenever they have foreigner visitors. In fact, foreigners like this especially because of its unique taste. Filipinos anywhere in the world must know how to cook this true-Filipino dish. The classic adobo is consists of pork or/and chicken sautéed in onion and garlic and cooked with soy sauce and vinegar. Sometimes, we even add sugar to make the adobo tastes sweeter.
In the Philippines, there are many types of adobo depending on what region it is. Some adobo has gata or coconut milk. Some are being shred into flakes. Some are with ginger. Some are being partnered with sinangag-itlog that becomes adosilog. There are many other types of adobo. Experiment it with yourself and you can discover one unique adobo dish that you can actually call your own. Just like this one.
– 1 kilo of pork, pigue part (In the market, you can actually tell the vendor to have it cut into “adobo cut.” They know what you mean.)
– Soy sauce
– Onions, chopped
– Garlic, minced
– Cornstarch, dissolved in water
– Cooking oil
– Salt and pepper
- Sauté the onion and garlic in a pan.
- Once cooked, add the pork. Add soy sauce and vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover the pan and let it simmer until the pork is cook and tender.
- Separate the adobo sauce and the pork.
- In a separate pan, fry the pork. Set aside once done frying.
- Put some sugar to the adobo sauce. Taste until it you reached your desired taste. Make sure that the sour, salty and sweet taste of the adobo sauce is well tasted.
- After this, add some cornstarch to thicken the sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Served the fried adobo pork and adobo sauce in a separate plate. The adobo sauce is now a condiment to the adobo pork.
Adobo is a very delicious dish, “isang Pinoy na Pinoy na ulam.” Try this adobo pork with a twist, and surely your family can eat more rice than usual.
Liempo is said to be the best part of pork because it has meat, fats and bone. It also very tasty and can easily be found in the market. The price of liempo is also affordable unlike other part of pork. This is the reason why preparing liempo dish for party food in catering services is advisable.
Black pepper liempo in creamy mushroom gravy is a meal that is very easy to prepare. It only needs marinating and frying. Preparation of the gravy is also not complicated. This recipe is also for mothers who cannot afford spending too much time in the kitchen because of many other tasks at home and at work.
– 1 kilo of pork (liempo, cut in your desired size)
– 2 tablespoon black pepper, crushed (desired amount of pepper enough to satisfy your chili craving)
– 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (part of the ginger family)
– 1 can/pack Cream of Mushroom soup (in can or in powder form)
– 1 can of sliced mushroom
– 2-3 tablespoon oyster sauce
– salt to taste
– cooking oil
- Marinate the liempo by mixing the pork, black pepper and turmeric powder. Add a little water and salt then marinate for ½ to 1 hour.
- Deep fried the liempo until golden brown. Set aside.
- Prepare the gravy by cooking first the cream of mushroom soup. If you are using the one in can, just put the soup in heat and wait until it boils. If you are using the one in powder form, boil water. Then dissolve the powder in a bowl, add to the boiling water once fully dissolved.
- After preparing the soup, add the sliced mushroom then gradually add the oyster sauce.
- Put the cooked liempo and mix. Add salt to taste. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Black pepper liempo is a delicious meal that can be prepared during lunch and dinner. The combination of the chili flavor of black pepper and the creamy taste of the mushroom soup is perfect for people looking for spice and cream in meal. This meal is perfect for steamed rice.
Once we held a catering for graduating students of one university in Region IV. Prior to this occasion, we made a quotation of menu with chicken pandan as appetizer, fish fillet, caldereta, braised pork, and some vegetables. When it comes to dessert, I have to think of something unique than the usual desserts. I decided to use banana or the concept of turon to make a unique dessert but will still have the essence of Filipino style of dessert.
In fine dining restaurants and Catering Services Menu banana is combined with apples and wrapped in crepe and strawberry cream sauce, which is platted in medium sized platter with cherries. But during this event, we decided to make a dessert with this concept but with a touch of Filipino style.
Turon Dessert Recipe:
- 2 pieces banana strips
- Small slices of ripe mango
- Lumpia wrapper
- 1 scoop of Vanilla ice cream
- Chocolate sauce
- Chocolate bar
- All purpose cream
- Cherries/buko (strips) or sprinkles
- Place the banana across the center of the lumpia wrapper. With enough space at the side to be able to fold it in a square style wrapping.
- Place the ripe mangoes on top of the banana.
- Wrapped the banana and mango in a square style folding.
- Repeat the procedure until all bananas, ripe mangoes and wrapper are used.
- Quick fry the turon for 1-2 minutes per side and set aside.
- Make a chocolate sauce using chocolate bar and all purpose cream. Cooked them in a medium heat and stir until spongy. Set aside.
- In a plater, put the turon at the center, place one or two scoop of vanilla ice cream (depends on your preference).
- Top with chocolate sauce with cherries, buko or sprinkles.
- And served it to guests.
It is easy to do and easy to serve. People will enjoy and love this food for it is tasty and colored combination that will surely appealing to kids and adults. There is a lot of combination when it comes to dessert, you only have to try and taste it as well. So just enjoy this dessert!!!
Shrimp is a kind of seafood that is very abundant in the country. Although we have shrimp in our sea, this is not a common dish for us because this can actually be very costly. Its price ranges from Php350-500 per kilo. For some, this is a special food that can be prepared during special occasion like Christmas and birthdays. Shrimp is also common dish in catering services.
A sardine, in a Filipino kitchen is a canned fish with tomato sauce. It is actually a common dish for us because it is very convenient to eat. The taste is very rich and delicious that many of us can eat more than one cup of rice with sardines. A can of sardines usually can vary from the regular tomato sauce and tomato sauce with chili. Sardines are also becoming more flavorful with the new flavors like sardines in Spanish style.
These two foods are best served in separate ways. But with some experimentation, you can create a great dish that everyone would surely like. Two different food but when mix together, you can create one delicious and unique dish.
Let’s try cooking Spicy Shrimp using shrimp and sardines together.
- 1 kilo of medium size shrimp
- 1 big can of spicy sardines (Separate the sauce and the fish. Set aside the sauce and mush the fish.)
- 1 pack of all-purpose cream
- Onion, chopped
- Garlic, minced
- Cooking oil
- Salt and pepper
- 8oz Royal softdrinks
- Siling Labuyo, sliced (optional)
- Boil the shrimp with the royal softdrinks. Use the orange soda because it will release the delicious flavor of the shrimp. (Usually, the use of white soda is much known but orange soda is more flavorful than the white soda. Try it on your next meal.)
- After boiling, sauté the onion and garlic in a separate pan. Add the shrimp.
- After adding the shrimp, add first the mushed sardines then mix. Gradually, add the sardines sauce. (Do this immediately after you put the shrimp. Remember, we already cook the shrimp. We do not want an overcook shrimp. Shrimp is best when you can still feel a little crunch when you bite it.)
- Then, add the all-purpose cream to lessen the fishy taste of the sardines.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Then, add the siling labuyo for more spice. This is best served with hot steamed rice.
Kare kare is one of the most popular Filipino dishes. This is among the oldest dishes in the Philippines that originated from Pampanga. Kare kare is a dish cooked by stewing. In a traditional Filipino Kare-kare, the dish is made of peanut sauce, different vegetables and stewed beef meat and beef tripe (lamang loob ng baka, commonly referred as tuwalya ng baka). Kare kare is most delicious with bagoong or shrimp paste and chili.
In this time that beef is much costly than any other type of meat, the use of a lesser costly meat is a good alternative for beef. With this, the idea of using fish specifically tuna fillet is a good alternative for people who are in short budget but still want to cook kare kare. Tuna is a good source of protein like beef. It is actually healthier than beef because it has lower fats.
This is how to cook TUNA KARE KARE.
- 1 kilo of tuna fillet, cut into cubes
- peanut butter
- rice stock
- grounded toasted rice
- onions, chopped
- garlic, minced
- atsuete oil
- atsuete stock
- eggplant, sliced 1 inch thick
- pechay ,cut into 2 pieces
- sitaw, cut to 2 inches long
- puso ng saging, cut 2 inches thick
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooked bagoong alamang (for dip)
- Sauté onions and garlic with oil and atsuete oil. Add the tuna fillet and let it cook.
- Add the peanut butter, grounded toasted rice and rice stock. Let it boil and simmer. Do not over boil, the tuna might get too soft and be broken. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- After 15 minutes, add the atsuete stock. Add the vegetables in this order: eggplant, sitaw, puso ng saging and pechay. Do not overcook the vegetables.
- Serve with bagoong alamang with chili. This is best with hot steamed rice.
Get away with fatty beef kare kare, try the healthier and budget friendly tuna kare kare on your next meal. This is not only delicious but advisable and good for our elders who are avoiding fatty foods like beef.
Tired of the yearly Fruit Salad or Buko Salad on your table but still want to taste a creamy and sweet dessert during Noche Buena? Try this Cathedral Window Jelly Dessert. Adults and children will surely like and love this new treats during the Holiday season.
Cathedral Window Jelly got its name literally in a cathedral window. Look at cathedral windows; you will see the different colors of the stained glasses used to cover the window. Like on this dessert, you will see different colors of cubed gelatins covered with a creamy jelly. Basically, this is a mixture of different flavored gelatins.
– Ready to cook powdered gelatin with different flavors/ colors
- Strawberry Flavor
- Apple Green Flavor
- Orange Flavor
- Pink Flavor
– All-purpose cream
– Condensed milk
*** Amounts and measurements should depend on the level of sweetness a person wants. ***
– Jelly ring or molding container (depending on your desired shape)
For the cubed gelatin (Do this one-by-one for the 4 flavors.)
- Dissolve the powdered gelatin with little amount of water.
- Boil water in a pan and mix the gelatin.
- Add sugar for additional sweetness. (You can choose not to add sugar if you do not want too much sweetness).
- Set aside in a rectangular molding container.
- Once the gelatin had subsided or formed, cut them into cubes in your desired size. Make sure that they are of almost equal sizes.
For the jelly cream
- Boil water in a pan.
- Dissolve the unflavored gelatin with little amount of water.
- Mix the dissolved powdered gelatin with the boiling water.
- Add the sugar and stir them until dissolved.
- Add the all-purpose cream and condensed milk.
- Let the mixture cool.
For the Cathedral window
- In a jelly ring or molding container, put the cubed gelatins in your desired places.
- Pour the jelly cream and let the mixture subside.
- Serve it chilled.
Usual desserts during parties especially Christmas party are salads and cakes. To have a different dessert this year, prepare Cathedral Window Jelly. This is just easy to prepare. Children and even adults will love the color and taste of this unique dessert.
Baking for some is therapeutic and relaxing. It gives them the feeling of calm and at the same time, the feeling of accomplishing something that not everyone is up to. But baking is not easy. From the materials and tools, you really need to have a heart and passion to be able to do baking. I think people into baking are also very talented because they know how to follow exact measurements for ingredients. Baking is not like cooking a food because one should know how to follow the exact measurements and should also know the proper tools to measure every ingredient.
But if you want to bake or at least give a self-made cake to someone without the hassle of doing the real baking, here is a way to do it, simple and no baking skills needed.
How to have an instant cupcake you can call your own?
Buy the most special plain cupcakes in the market. You can choose from chocolate cupcake, cheese cupcake or mocha cupcake. But here is the twist, prepare a special icing frosting for your cupcakes. How?
Butter Icing Frosting
- 250g butter (cubed at room temperature)
- 450g or 3 cups of icing or refined sugar
- 60ml or ¼ cup of milk
- Place the butter in a mixing bowl. After this, use an electric beater to make the butter fluffy and soft.
- Add the icing or refined sugar until it becomes fluffy.
- Add the milk and beat until smooth and evenly combined.
If you want other flavors for your icing, add the following ingredients to the butter icing frosting.
- Vanilla Icing: put a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the butter icing.
- Chocolate Icing: mix a quarter cup of cocoa powder to the butter icing.
- Orange Icing: peel the zest of an orange and mix it with the icing. For more orange flavor, extract the orange juice and mix well.
- Coffee Icing: add 2 teaspoon of an instant coffee to the mixture.
- For Colored Icing: add a pinch of coloring powder of your color choice
What is it that we find in a bowl of soup? It is the most wonderful and delicious watery like food in the world. As we talked of soup, we find it hard not to crave for delicious, clear or thick soup that very aromatic. Examples of soup include broths, consommés and bouillons – they are considered as clear soup – and thick soups used thickening agents such as corn starch, flour, chowders, and bisques. In making the thickness blend, you may cook the flour mixture slowly over a medium heat until it becomes thick as what you prefer.
Another kind of food which is called specialty soup which mostly have geographical origins such as Thailand, Taiwan, France and the famous center of food industry which is Italy. But the famous soup in the Philippines is those with ingredients of shrimp and vegetable with a combination of fish sauce and milk. There is also chicken and broth to make the soup more healthy with combination of all nutrients from protein to vitamin A, B, and C. However, there are a lot of ingredients to be combined when you cook soup depending on your preferred taste, aroma and style.
It all started with ginisa through a preheat pan well before adding the oil and other ingredient and make the aromatics using onions, celery and bell peppers and cooked it with minimum oil or fat over a medium low heat to extract their flavors. In the recipe, we are free to choose or change the source of protein with chicken or shrimp or any protein-mixed food. And as usual, taste the food before seasoning it with salt and pepper and other McCORMICK super spices.
A side dish/bread such as ginger bread, semi-hard bread with a sharp, salty and ginger flavor must be combined with your soup recipe. This can be prepared most preferably in cold weather or during rainy season. So turn on the fire and let’s start cooking!!!
Spaghetti is a common snack and menu during kiddie Party Event. This is one of the most popular Catering Service menus for kids. Kids love spaghetti because of its rich and delicious flavor. A common ingredient of a spaghetti sauce is either ground pork or beef. But do you know that you can also use corned beef as a substitute for ground beef or pork?
- 1 kilo spaghetti
- 1 kilo spaghetti sauce (Filipino Style)
- 1 300mg corned beef
- 1 can mushroom (sliced)
- 1 can all-purpose cream
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 garlic (minced)
- cooking oil
- pepper, salt and sugar to taste
- quickmelt cheese
For the sauce:
- Saute garlic and onion in a cooking oil.
- Put the corned beef until cook.
- Put the mushroom until cook.
- Pour the spaghetti sauce (Filipino Style).
- Add enough amount of all-purpose cream to make the sauce creamier.
- Put pepper, salt and sugar to taste.
For the noodles:
- Prepare water with oil and salt.
- Boil 1 kilo of spaghetti.
- Prick the noodles to know if the boiling is enough to make the noodles cook.
- Avoid boiling the noodles too much to avoid too much softness.
- Mix the spaghetti and sauce.
- Put the mixed spaghetti and sauce in a pan.
- Put some spaghetti sauce on top of the mixed spaghetti.
- Evenly, put quickmelt cheese on top of the spaghetti.
- Baked the spaghetti in a pre-heated oven.
- Remove the spaghetti once the cheese had melted. Do not overcook the cheese.
In making a sauce for spaghetti noodles, you can actually experiment to create other flavors on a traditional spaghetti snack. The use of corned beef is actually an idea because of the unavailability of ground beef on our kitchen when the family craved for pasta one Sunday afternoon. This experiment went good because we spend less using the corned beef. You can also use canned tuna or sardines.
Try this and sure, your family will also like it.
If you do not have an oven, you can simply mix the spaghetti noodles and sauce and served it with grated cheese on top.
Filipinos are known for our different spices and condiments. Most of us could not eat without the use of condiments. Among our famous condiments are soy sauce, fish sauce, vinegar, ketchup and bagoong.
In this article, let us discuss the many uses of our well-known bagoong and how it is made. Bagoong or shrimp/fish paste in English is a mixture of fermented shrimp or fish. Bagoong is known for its strong smell especially when fermented longer. In the Philippines, there are two types of bagoong.
- Bagoong Isda – made of fermented fish and salt.
- Bagoong Alamang – made of fermented shrimp and salt. Sometimes, with calamansi to lessen the smell.
Bagoong especially bagoong alamang is famous for its different and many uses in a traditional Filipino kitchen. These are the many uses of bagoong in a Filipino table.
As a condiment:
- Kare-kare is always complimented with sautéed bagoong.
- Unripe mangoes are never complete without bagoong. It is more delicious with an additional chili.
- Try bagoong with steamed kangkong or pechay as an appetizer.
- Do not also miss using bagoong as condiment when eating fried fish. It suits well.
- Mixing bagoong with steamed eggplant, tomatoes and onions is also very delicious. You will have ensalada, also known as an appetizer.
As an ingredient:
- Binagoongang baboy without bagoong is not binagoongan.
- Pinakbet is a mixture of different vegetable and bagoong.
- Diningding uses bagoong isda as an ingredient mix with different vegetable as well.
- Bagoong alone is also a good viand to steamed rice.
Preparation of Bagoong
In this part, you will see a simple preparation of bagoong.
- Different kinds of Small Fish
II. Procedure on how to make a bagoong
- Clean the fish.
- Grind the fish to produce its natural flavor.
- Place the grounded fish to a clean bowl with stirrer.
- Add exact amount of salt and mix uniformly to prevent the growth of microorganisms during fermentation.
- Ferment for 13 days. Separate the brown fermented liquid to produce fish sauce. The solid pink-ish fermented fish is the bagoong alamang.
- Put the separated bagoong to different container.
Bagoong is part of every Filipino table and our tradition as well. From any walks of life here, bagoong is really a-must taste food.
Got Something to Say?
We all know that fresh ingredients bring out the best in cooking food, and this is the concept behind the success of all food ventures such as Catering Services businesses, where they have menus made with high-quality, fresh ingredients. Here are practices done to make the ingredients and food fresh, healthy and with good quality.
Fruits and vegetables spoils quickly compared to other ingredients and to maintain its freshness, it should be generally kept in a 38 degree to 40 degree fridge. This has always been the concept of keeping the food fresh. They also use the concept of F-I-F-O procedure or the first-in-first-out strategy. This is not to heighten the risk of spoiling food and to maintain the freshness of foods served.
Addition to this is the freshness of meat and poultry is also important to be maintained. They should be kept in their original package (if they are packed by meat and poultry manufacturing) and must be used as soon as possible up until 2 days only.
The fish should also be kept in a bag on top of a bowl of ice and must be eaten as soon as possible too. Broiling is advised to make sure that there are no bacteria that will be able to spoil the fish.
Eggs can be kept in their package, carton or wrapper and must be put into the fridge. To know if eggs are still fresh, one must put it in a glass of water, when the egg sink it means they are fresh, but when it float it is not really wise to use it in cooking.
While dairy products such as milk, cheese, sour crème and butter must be stored in its original container (paper pack, foil and box only) at the back of the fridge. It must be put away from raw foods or foods with strong smell, especially foods with ethylene byproducts.
However, these secrets must be shared with people who have been patronizing delicious food and quality cooking. A quick glimpse of how food is maintained and preserved will make customer’s preference be apparent.
Got Something to Say?
Food is any kind of substance that is consumed by people that provide nutrition to body and is converted to energy. Filipinos love food and what can be done with food is also desired. One of the most favorite dishes nowadays is the famous Chicken Cordon bleu, which is very popular in Catering Services Menus. Its main ingredients are chicken breast, ham and cheese. But to make it more viand and flexible food, a well-known fish will be used. The Cream dory fish will be used in exchanged for chicken breast.
The cordon bleu done with fish product helps all the people especially those people who are conscious with their dietary lifestyles to be pleasured with the food they eat but they will not be bothered with the nutritional content of the food. Because this is the first kind of cordon bleu which is made from fish, most Filipinos would prefer to eat nutritious foods, thus, the main ingredient which is fish is much nutritious than any meat products.
The cordon bleu with fish can be used as main dish or side dish in each meal. Restaurants and Catering Services can use this to be included in other dishes. It can be eaten with rice or with bread. It can also be dipped in different sauce like béchamel, marinara sauce, thousand islands or even a simple mayonnaise. Addition, this can be used as a gift or “pasalubong” to their family, relatives or friends.
Fish Cordon Bleu Recipe
- 1 kilo Cream dory
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 slices eden cheese singles (1 pack)
- 3 slices cooked ham
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups fine breadcrumbs
- Cut fish fillets into slices by cutiing it lengthwise, Making sure not to cut all the way through. Then put salt and pepper.seasoning
- On each piece, lay cooked ham, and topped with slice of cheese. Cover with the top part of the fish, tucking it in on the side to cover the filling.
- Dip the fish in beaten egg then roll until fully coated with breadcrumbs.
- Pan-fry in 5 minutes.